Let’s be so real for a second: my screen time report has historically been a jump scare. ๐
Between the endless scroll, keeping up with everyone’s highlight reels, and letting the algorithm dictate my moods, I woke up one day and realized I was spending way more time consuming other people’s lives than actually figuring out my own. At 24, trying to navigate life, work, and figuring out who I am outside of what everyone else is doing is hard enough. Doing it with my phone screaming notifications at me 24/7? Absolutely exhausting.
So, I officially started an experiment yesterday and took a break from social media. I am right in the thick of it, and honestly? It’s already changing some things. ๐️
It didn’t happen overnight, but it definitely crept up on me. I noticed that checking my phone had become an unconscious reflex literally the first thing I did in the morning and the last thing I did before sleeping.
Even worse? I’d catch myself filtering my own life through a digital lens. I’d be reading a good book, baking something in the kitchen, or just going for a hot girl walk, and part of my brain would instantly be like, "Oh, this would make a cute story."
Wait. Am I actually living this moment, or am I just producing content about it? That realization kind of broke my heart a little. I felt like I was constantly rushing through my twenties trying to keep up with a pace that wasn't even mine.
✨ ๐ฏ๐๐ ๐ฐ'๐ ๐บ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐ซ๐๐๐๐ (๐น๐๐๐๐ now ๐ตOT ๐๐ฒ!)
I’m not going to lie, starting yesterday felt weird; that phantom vibration in your pocket is so real when you're breaking the habit! But I set some ground rules to keep myself sane:
๐ ๐ถ๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐, ๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ : I deleted Instagram and TikTok so I wouldn't mindlessly click them.
๐ ๐ด๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐: No scrolling before my morning matcha or coffee. Protecting my peace in the AM is non negotiable.
๐ ๐น๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐: Instead of watching other people do their routines, I’m actually focusing on mine, reading whatever book I’m obsessed with at the moment, putting on my favorite playlists, and just letting myself exist without needing to broadcast it.
๐ ๐พ๐๐๐ ๐ฐ ๐ณ๐๐๐๐ed ๐จ๐๐๐๐ ๐ด๐๐๐๐๐ yesterday
Even just a day in, when you finally turn down the noise of the internet, it gets really quiet. And in that quiet, you finally get to meet yourself. Here is what is shifting already:
๐ฐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐: Turns out, cutting out the scroll gives you back hours of your day. I’m finally finding the mental space to dive deep into my books, try out new baking recipes, and just wander around without needing a destination.
๐ป๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐: It is impossible to feel like you're "falling behind" in your twenties when you aren't looking at twenty different curated timelines every single day. Without that pressure, my goals are starting to feel soft, authentic, and completely mine.
๐ฐ'๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐๐๐ ๐๐ ๐๐๐ ๐๐๐ฅ๐ ๐๐๐๐๐๐: This is the big one. Being in your twenties comes with so many questions about the future, your career, relationships, and who you're becoming. You can't scroll your way to the answers. Sitting in silence is forcing me to confront my own thoughts, figure out what I want, and trust my intuition.
๐ ๐พ๐๐๐๐ ๐ฐ'๐ ๐จ๐ ๐ต๐๐
Don't get me wrong, social media isn't the absolute enemy. I still love having cute corners online to share my reads, my aesthetic, and my random thoughts. But there is a massive difference between sharing a piece of your world and living inside an app trying to figure out who you're supposed to be.
For now, I'm just enjoying being offline, getting lost in a good story, and seeing what happens when I listen to my own voice first.
If you’ve been feeling that low key digital burnout, let this be your sign to close the apps for a hot second. The feed will still be there, but your peace, your time, and your relationship with yourself? Those are way too precious to waste on a screen. ๐ค
No comments:
Post a Comment